How Can I Get Free Weatherization for My Home?

How Can I Get Free Weatherization for My Home?

AlabamaWISE is a program of  the non-profit Nexus Energy Center in partnership with Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA) to help households of all income levels in Madison, Jefferson, Shelby, Morgan, Limestone, Lawrence or Cullman Counties lower utility bills and improve indoor environmental health and comfort. AlabamaWISE is not an income-qualified Weatherization Assistance Program.

AlabamaWISE connects homeowners to certified home performance contractors who agree to meet high quality and customer satisfaction standards. Nexus Energy Center manages the program standards, verifies contractor performance, and issues low interest loans and cash rebates to make energy saving home improvements more affordable.

Click here to learn about AlabamaWISE rebates

Click here to learn about AlabamaWISE low-interest loans

Click here to find a participating AlabamaWISE Home Performance Contractor

Are you struggling to pay your utility bills?

Income qualified households in Alabama are eligible for the Weatherization Assistance Program from local Community Action Agencies also in partnership with ADECA. Unfortunately, the need is much greater than available resources, so not all eligible households can be served.

The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) was created by the federal government in response to staggering increases in home energy costs due to the 1973 oil crisis to help limited income households most impacted by energy bills. Available in every county in the US, the WAP program is funded by US Dept. of Energy through state energy offices and delivered locally by Community Action Agencies.

The primary factor affecting eligibility in the State of Alabama is income.  Eligible income must fall below “200% poverty level” of the Federal Poverty Income Guidelines.  Other qualifying factors which affect need are assigned as “priority” points according to Department of Energy guidelines for the program.

  • People over 60 years of age
  • Families with one or more members with a disability
  • Families with children (below 19 years of age)
  • Homes with high energy burden (usually mobile homes)

If you need help paying your utility bills, locate your local Community Action Agency by clicking your county on the map below.

2 6 8 10 11 12 13 14 17 19